The Service for IT in Public Procurement promotes the use of information technologies in public procurement. It is located within the Federal IT Steering Unit (FITSU). In accordance with article 21 of the Public Procurement Ordinance, the Service's responsibilities have included the following since 1 January 2007:
- It responds to inquiries concerning the use of suitable information technologies during the public procurement process.
- It promotes harmonisation of its instruments and standards with those used by other federal authorities, the cantons, the municipalities, and the private sector.
- It directs interdepartmental projects on the use of new technologies in the Federal Administration or participates in such projects.
- In cooperation with the central procurement services, it develops the strategy for the use of information technologies in public procurement and submits the strategy for approval by the responsible bodies.
- It co-operates with national and international specialized groups and organizations (PEPPOL, procure.ch, eCH).